Welcome to the Lake Agawam Conservation Association. LACA was formed by a group of lakeside residents as well as other concerned citizens and local officials. Our goal is the restoration of Lake Agawam, the jewel of Southampton Village.
New storm drains and catch basins have been installed along Pond Lane, adding to extensive storm drain additions and upgrades designed to improve lake health. View photos of the project.
Your Lake Needs You
The delicate ecological balance of Lake Agawam has been upset by everyday human activities. The Village & Town of Southampton are working to address many of the stormwater problems around the lake, but this alone cannot restore the lake’s health.
As all of our actions are responsible for the lake’s decline, it will take everyone’s help to improve its health. Here are some suggestions:
- Use minimal amounts of fertilizers and pesticides, preferably non-toxic organic varieties (e.g. compost, horticultural oils, etc.) and refrain from fertilizing within 125’ of the lake.
Restore Vegetated Buffers
- Don’t mow in the buffer zone, unless permitted for habitat management.
- Maintain a 100’ natural buffer of trees, shrubs or wildflowers between your lawn and the lake.
- Try some of our native planting suggestions described in the Lake Agawam Owners Guide!
Minimize Harmful Stormwater Runoff
- Pick up after your dog
- Clean up any spilled fertilizer or chemicals that fall on hard surfaces.
Maintain Your Septic System
- Have it inspected every 1-2 years and pumped, as needed.
- Don’t use additives or pour chemicals down the drain (e.g paint thinner, disinfectants, pesticides).